AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

holsteins are amazing things
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 3/9/2012 15:46 (#2277833 - in reply to #2277179)
Subject: Re: holsteins are amazing things

Manitoba
If she's pretty and makes milk I'll let her stay around.

And I completely agree regarding functonal type although I think sometimes where that line is drawn today is very questionable. we used to classify and I can remember listening to the explanation of why this cow was scoring this way and that was scoring way lower due to whatever reason but in the real world (my barn) they might be the inverse or at least equals. But there is definitley a reason (genetics) my 2 teater has a chance to do what she is doing while her great great great .................... grandmother could never do on 4.

I guess it is my inability to manage my cows to the point (such a high level) that my biggest limiting factor is their genetics that I have the attitude I have. Seriously, I'm always trying to get to the point where they can express their genetics to the fullest potential without being limited by something I have screwed up on. Sometimes I get quite a few areas pretty close I think but ther is a lot of factors. I have never got close yet to allowing them to shine as they could. I'm still trying and hopefully someday I manage to get to where I have to change my philosophy.

Edited by Oakwood 3/9/2012 15:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)