AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

protective cows pt.2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ahay68979
Posted 3/9/2012 07:45 (#2277034 - in reply to #2276916)
Subject: Re: protective cows pt.2

Saronville NE
I tag most of mine off the ranger unless they in precurious site. The cows are used to getting cubed off the ranger so they just follow you everywhere with the ranger. I just grab there tail and pull em close to the ranger and tag em, I dont give shots or anything and we cut em before going to grass so no banding or anything to do. This way you have a onry one, you can just drive ahead or get away actually works pretty good.

Ive got cows that are protective of there calves and thats not a promblem, but like others said, when she startes chasing you and leaving the calf, or will attack the ranger or pickup, or head even goes up when drive into feed em with feedwagon, those are gone, no use for them.

I remember working for a guy one time went to go tag this calf, he always calved in the cornfield, you just drove thru them with pickup every day and tagged new ones, had a big ol pry 1600lb+ charlois cow calve that was always touchy, we were driving a 91 Dodge 2500, they had tall sides on em, boss says you distract the cow, I will grab calf and throw in back of pickup and work it, then you get in back of pickup and help me, ok, so we do that but before we were done, she had he front feet over the side of the box, needless to say we didnt just lay that colf down gently back into field, it got dropped over the side of pickup, she wasnt going to stop, LOL. Funny now but wasnt at the time.
Another time different neighbor, bought 3 potloads of cows outa a SD ranch, had always been worked hoseback, not used to people or 4wheelers, when we worked calves it took 3 people, one with a big pipe to keep the cow off the guys working calves, they didnt last long, I think after the 1st year over a potload of those cows got resold, they were just nuts.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)