AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

D6Joe
Posted 2/27/2012 23:26 (#2256209 - in reply to #2255913)
Subject: Re: What is it?

east central ND
That looks like a bellow's seal like for a front trac idler (big front bogie wheel) on a cat. On a cat the side you have facing down on the rag is a fine ground surface that creates a rotating seal against another fine ground surface like a brass washer in the housing you took it out of. They lasted very long in lots of dirt, lots longer that a rubber lip seal. The springs and rubber "bellows" hold a bit of presure against the sealing surface, and the 4 lugs keep it from turning. Older cats had "track grease" kind of like a very sticky and runny corn head grease, newer cats had 80-90 held in by a similar looking seal. I might be wrong, but thats what it looks like to me.

Edit: I was thinking that the little spings and the rubber bellows also give the seal some flex. So if the disc shaft would flex a bit, like going over a rock, the seal would flex but still maintian the sealing. Kind of courious to know if the seal truns with the shaft, or stay put - if the 4 lugs fit into the housing, or if the side down on the rag goes into the housing. Also does the disc have ball bearings, or a big brass bushing? The old cats had a big brass bushing with large tolerences to the shaft to allow a bit of flex and room for the trac grease to get back into the bushing and self lubricate.

Edited by D6Joe 2/28/2012 08:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)