AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Radial Arm Saw vs. Table Saw ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 1/12/2012 12:53 (#2157632 - in reply to #2157329)
Subject: Radial ripping

Radial ripping works if the table is long enough. Mine is 13 feet long with a fence that long and rips plywood OK. I also have a Ryobi sliding table saw and I used it more often. It has a long outfeed table formica topped that I rub down with paraffin wax to make the work move easily with a roller at the leading edge.

One trick I use most of the time with both saws is to mount a 7-1/2 or 7-1/4" thin kerf 40 tooth carbide blade, usually a Pyranah. That gives the motor a longer lever arm so long as the work isn't too thick. The thin kerf simply takes less power to move less wood at the potential cost of being easier to warp. If I had a lot of ripping of plywood to do, I'd think of going to a 6-1/2" diameter blade. The smaller blade puts more force at the tooth for any given motor torque. Using many teeth keeps the depth of cut per tooth small and makes a smooth cut. Hogging with a 7 tooth blade takes a lot of torque and cuts like a hatchet.

Sears has a new table top and guard kit that reduces the ripping capacity and improves the safety. I haven't installed it yet.

Gerald J.

Edited by Gerald J. 1/12/2012 12:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)