AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip till questions for a possible new-be
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Notazo6
Posted 12/5/2011 19:03 (#2086145 - in reply to #2086084)
Subject: Re: Strip till questions for a possible new-be

South Central South Dakota
on the hiniker bars 5000's are the oldest. 1000's and 6000's came out at the same time 5000's and 6000's are the heavier. the 1000's where a cheaper mans version. If you could find a 6000 for a reasonable price you can by the conversions for hiniker for not a bad price i can't rember anymore but i thought that it was around 1200-1500 per row for the conversion. that would be one way to possibly get into a strip till bar cheaply.

I started with a homemade DMI style and have since went to a dawn. which is for my area and climte suppose to be more spring time friendly. which i plan to do alot of since i run cattle and can't strip all of my ground in the fall like alot recommend. I still pretty new to the strip till deal this will be my 3rd year.

I don't think there will be anything wrong with the broadcast and then the stripping but the biggest benefit is getting the fertilizer in the strips. Guys talk about reduced rates which in some places may work but where i am far behind on my fertility i have seen stripping with fert as getting the best bang for my buck out of my fertilizer.

My first year out with Stripping i was using a flexicoil cart and the homemade DMI 8 row setup. done a fair amount of ground with it and i had about 15,000 into the whole setup. you could probly find a cheap concord tank for fert delivery or try going with liquid to help curve the cost at first. or use the air cart setup on your current Air drill if you have something like that.

on the guidence end that i would say depends are you gona strip 12 and plant 12? then if so i'd say no problem with what you have. but if your gona strip 12 and plant 16 or 24 then i would highly recomend RTK.

As for the do's and don't s heck i'm still learning them myself
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)