AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip till questions for a possible new-be
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ihman
Posted 12/5/2011 18:27 (#2086084)
Subject: Strip till questions for a possible new-be

Bourbon, Indiana
We've tossing around the idea the last few years of going to strip till and I think we might just go that route this spring, but we have a number of questions for those that already do it.

I've been doing some research on here and it seems that some have tried using row cultivator bars and old planter bars for strip till but found out later that they just weren't built heavy enough for it. How does the hiniker toolbar rate? Coudln't a persone buy an older (but in good shape) hiniker cultivator or something, strip it down, and put on the units of there choice? Hiniker has one of the toughest bars around don't they? Buying a brand new strip till unit is outta the question for this year but have talked to a few people that recommended the hiniker bar and the units of your choice.

Whats the difference between the hiniker 1000, 5000 and 6000? age? which one would be better for strip till?
Can a mx285 weighted down carry a heavy beast like that or is it more suitable for a 4-wheel drive? Were talking 12rn buy the way.
Is omni-star xp/hp good enough for the planter pass to be able to stay on the row or is RTK or trimbles new RTX the cheaper but (I'd be happier) route?
We have always broadcast our fertilizer for as long as I can remember, Is broadcasting not such a good idea with strip till beings the P and K won't get mixed up in the soil like it would with full tillage? Banding the fertilizer could be an option down the road if we think strip till is the route we might stick with but for a new-be I'd hate to jump in all at once.
And last but not least, if you had to choose which row unit to go with which one would you choose and why? In our gumbo soils I'd really prefer to stick with a shank style, I know Dawn makes a heck of a strip till unit but from what I know they done offer the shank style.
I know theres a million row units out there from different companies and its like pulling your hair out trying to figure out which one would work the best. I know we priced the unverferth today and it was right around $3000 per row, but theres also, krause, hiniker, jd, sunflower, dawn, schagel and others off the top of my head.

What are some do's and don'ts? what have you learned?

Any ideas, criticisms welcome.

thanx
Brad
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)