AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertility
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dbltfarmer
Posted 12/7/2011 20:12 (#2090363 - in reply to #2089464)
Subject: RE: Fertility

Texas
Lots of different things going on in our area. Im out east of Lubbock but a lot of things are done the same way here as they are around Littlefield. Some guys around here plant wheat every other middle after they bed their land up. Others are planting every middle and there is some rotation going on but mostly wheat. Not a lot of grain sorghum but that could pick up if we get more moisture and sorghum prices stay up. Cotton is king and it will continue for a long time. You just cant generate the income on other crops like you can cotton.

Our water situation is getting weaker all the time. I have four pivots that I need to change practices on. Three will go into the rotations. Two with wheat or rye and one with sudan. The fourth will probably be farmed 2 in 1 out and place the Lepa hoses between the two rows of cotton and turn off every third nozzle. Some guys have been doing that with some success.

One of the things I try to do is minimize the number of acres that I have to run the sandfighter over. Thats one of the big reasons I went to no-till and cover crops. Soil health, seedling protection and water infiltration rates are other reasons I went to these practices. Dryland and drip fields are difficult to take to a no=till program. Some guys are leaving their cotton stalks and moving over the following year and using the old stalks as wind breaks. They are having some success but dealing with the old stalks at harvest create another problem. Some guys are going to no-till on drip but it seems that create bigger risks in getting moisture to the seed zone. I have been able to get stands every year by busting listed beds down to moisture. This year was very very tuff to get stands on drip.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)