AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop twist after W. Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 12/4/2011 18:35 (#2084332 - in reply to #2083810)
Subject: RE: Cover crop twist after W. Wheat

Southeast WI
Thanks Joel, you answered some of my questions. To one of the previous posters, Joel answered what I didn't state is the higher corn yields following radish - that seems to be very repeatable. So I'm thinking if we can "grow" our N instead of applying commercial to the radish for comparable cost, why not do that and add biomass with the clover. And I think the radish will "return" the 50 or units of N it gets from the clover. When we get a good clover catch it chokes out all weeds and even though I'd have to spray the clover out before radish planting, the mat of clover is so thick that we wouldn't have any weeds grow the rest of the season. Does anyone know if the 2,4-D residual is hard on the radish germination? It will screw up small seeded crops like alfalfa for sure and radish seeds are pretty small.

Crimson Clover - how tall will it get under the wheat? Do you think it will be a concern? 2 years ago we were just starting to clip the red clover because wheat harvest was delayed and clover grew well with abundant rain. This year it didn't grow much with little August rain - in fact it killed out in early July due to no rain on two sandy loam fields.

As far as frost seeded clover you can use Buctril on the wheat instead of the Harmony type herbicides and it won't hurt the clover. Of course Buctril isn't an exact match for the weeds the other herbicides kill, so know what you need to go after. Geverally here it's just ragweeds, velvets and lambsquarters. I'll put glyphosate out at wheat planting if we have other issues like chickweed or winter annuals like shepherds purse already established in the NT fields.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)