AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop twist after W. Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 12/4/2011 12:54 (#2083810)
Subject: Cover crop twist after W. Wheat

Southeast WI
Since we don't have ready access to manure around here anymore, here's what I'm thinking during and after my W. Wheat crop. It's an all NT system, just trying to get more cover crops into the rotation.

Tillage Radish needs about 60 units of N/acre to make them grow and I like what they do to the soil, especially when they are in a mix with oats, etc. What about frost seeding Red Clover into my wheat in March like I've been doing the past few years, harvest wheat in July and by mid-August kill the clover for the nitrogen which will fuel the radish/oat growth? Anyone trying this?

Couple concerns. Since we need 2,4-D to kill the clover will the residual impact the radish germination? Glyphosate at 2 qts/a can kill the clover in the right situation, but not always. With the price of N now it's economical to use clover as the N source, plus it also adds more biomass. But will the N become available soon enough to get good radish growth?

If Tillage Radish is planted by Labor Day we'll get enough growth to make its planting worthwhile, but ideally it should be in by August 15th.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)