AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A good study, Manure, crop residue & Building soil O.M.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tntfarm
Posted 12/1/2011 09:32 (#2078507 - in reply to #2078226)
Subject: Re: A good study, Manure, crop residue & Building soil O.M.

SE IL and SW IN
Late at night, working on a presentation, I sometimes expect readers to read my mind. The point I was trying to make is that that with 20 tons of manure the OM is stable. We cannot generate that much high value tonnage with crop residue plus any cover crop (and I am on the front row in encouraging the use of cover crops) that I am aware of at this time. So...either serious tonnage of manure or other OM source needs to be added or a change of tillage practices needs to be done to maintain the OM in the soil profile of this example. This is the message that I will incorporate in a presentation that I will make to the SWCS Cover Crop meeting in Decatur IL next week.

There are good farmers across the country that are addressing some of these issues and you are right that there are more than one way to skin a cat, but I will drive up I 57 again this afternoon, seeing endless miles of black dirt that has less than half of its original SOM and little biological life in it and it discourages me to think how poorly we as stewards of the soil have managed that once great national treasure.

Edited by tntfarm 12/1/2011 09:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)