AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Start house in nov?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

iseedit
Posted 9/10/2011 11:46 (#1955688 - in reply to #1955620)
Subject: RE: Start house in nov?

central - east central Minnesota -

lawfarms - 9/10/2011 09:39 Our builders current project was originally to be completed end of july and now he is thinking mid-late october. We can get the concrete and everything done in october. We don't want snow, and crap all in our house cuz the weather the past 2 years has turned to crap from thanksgiving to April-ish. Options - 1. Go on ahead and dig the hole during harvest and i'll have to stop a few days to haul gravel and dirt when they dig the basement and then lose an hr+ a day stopping at the job site. They'll be farming probally when i'm done with harvest but the weather has gone to crap and the singles won't seal good? And it's always cold and nasty. Siding probally won't get put on till spring.... 2. Wait till after harvest and pour the basement and let it sit all winter and let him start building on it in march-april. I hate to be a donkey but it's not my fault the prior project is a few months behind scheduled .

Where you located (there is a spot in your profile to make such general location) ?
I would not pour footings and such and leave them freeze - even if you  covered them with heavy straw and such - I'd wait till spring.
I wouldn't' be worried about building during the colder months (assuming you live in the north) with snow and such. The snow is less intrusive then building and getting rained on. The shingles will seal when it warms enough, that's not concerning either. As far as interupting your harvest/farm schedule - start hauling fill/dirt now and stock pile -while you have some down time before harvest crunch time or hire it done, as your harvest time is more important.
Getting the shell up, backfilled, a rough grade and shell enclosed before freezing weather is the main goal. Which is do able -depending you your location (Northern Canada or southern Minnesota) If doesn't take much for temp heat to keep things above freezing with an enclosed shell . . . . .

Edited by iseedit 9/10/2011 11:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)