AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

College or not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chavez
Posted 8/30/2011 12:35 (#1937765 - in reply to #1936614)
Subject: RE: College or not?

My situation was a lot like yours when I went off to college. I ending up with a 4 year degree in Agronomy and worked for a ag research company for 6 years after college. I am now farming, which was always my goal. One of the best decisions I have made in my life is going to college and getting that 4 year degree. My advice would be to get your 4 year degree in Agronomy and graduate on time. You may want to get a job for a couple years if you can while you build some working capital on the farm, maybe you won't, but at least you'll have the option this way. Opportunities may arise like selling seed and you'll be happy you have that degree (most seed companies want their dealers to have a 4 year ag degree these days). You also have to think about health insurance. Going to college will give you some flexibility that could come in handy if some adversity pops up. I also agree with the idea of experiencing "college life." I met a lot of good friends and my wife while I was in college - I wouldn't trade those years for anything. That's my best advice - take it for what its worth.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)