AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alfalfa for horse hay
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 8/27/2011 09:39 (#1932589 - in reply to #1932558)
Subject: Re: Alfalfa for horse hay

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
correct Bill

Nick, when you say some K was spread ? How much I would have to ask. and cutting just pre bloom, or at bloom is so critical.

for High quality. this is My experience of what the fertility needs are after you look over the soil analysis, for Long term maintenance.

I have clients that Produce, dry land, sell HIGH $ very HIGH quality Horse hay to show and competition persons, many on the Competition circuit. and very high producing dairy's.

they average, Harvest, take 5 cuttings a season and 10 to 12 ton a season are harvested. keeping the stand for 10 to 15 years is a big part of the overall Profit picture for the Farmer, producer.

I have posted this several times before. But this is ( Approx. ) what it takes. following soil, tissue, tonnage harvested and quality observations.

By observing the 4th cutting this fall, I made a Big adjustment in the fall application after turning in the Blend rate to the client, CPS supplier. . But I changed it on Visual Observations made , so watch and adjust as needed. weather makes all the difference to the blends and when to apply what also.

2 to 4 ton of Calcium Lime and or some Calcium sulfate each season.

200 to 400 Lbs of 11-52-0 P annually. Light spring, Heavy fall for energy and rooting Health.

800 to 1,200 or so Lbs of 0-0-60 applied 4 times with the P and AMS, Minors

100 Lbs Plus of manganese Sulfate annually
100 Lbs of Boron annually
some copper sulfate and Zinc sulfate.

Heavy AMS spring, mid season, Light or non fall. depending on how Lush.

Maybe Nichols can post a Picture he has

this is HIGH $, High quality product creating a High $ Profit for these farmers Income.

No Liquid or fofo Juice applied ever.

( If you want 3 to 4 cutting s annually, and short term quality stands. 6 to 8 years quality high density Alfalfa. go ahead, apply foliar and use Liquid. ) my opinion only
-----
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)