AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starter fertilizer in furrow for wheat question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 8/26/2011 22:45 (#1932114 - in reply to #1932032)
Subject: Re: Starter fertilizer in furrow for wheat question

Coldwater, Michigan
Actually Harry you are quite right.

Seed placed starters in wheat have gotten a lot of testing and a lot of performance in Ontario over the years. I set up a bunch of JD 750 drills when they came out, and most were very happy with the setup. We had some issues with the tubes thru the years, but now have that pretty much taken care of anymore. I no longer DSM for Alpine, but had a lunch meeting with one of the current DSM's from Michigan. We were laughing about the difference in "Totally Tubular" for JD planters vs a tube that has been on the Alpine parts board since before I went to work for them in 1989. The difference? TT has a longer extension than the Alpine tube, and the TT stands straighter up (slightly). About 3-4 inches different. TT makes a good tube for the JD planters!

Seed placed "P" in wheat at 5 gallons normally will run 7-8 BPA over broadcast fertilizer. What people often don't realize when I quote Yield data is the design of the plots. These plots were planted across a "real" field, then replicated at least 3 times. The were also planted on top of the broadcast fertilizer. That means the "no starter" treatment actually was the "Broadcast" treatment, then the plot planted over the top of that. Any yeild increase was in addition to any gained with the broadcast treatment. I will include some pictures that may be of interest. Our delivery semi, 750 drill pictures, and a drill pattern from one of our competitors "Squeeze Pump" setups.

I will see if I can find a picture of a 750 setup.

(Squeeze pump -best.JPG)

(321407-R1-22-2.jpg)

(Backend of JD 750.jpg)

(Front gang of 750.jpg)

(JD 750 Fertilizer Tubes.jpg)

(D19 on JD 750.jpg)

(Hawkins Homestead 750 drill.jpg)

(Puschel 750.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Squeeze pump -best.JPG (68KB - 710 downloads)
Attachments 321407-R1-22-2.jpg (59KB - 714 downloads)
Attachments Backend of JD 750.jpg (38KB - 687 downloads)
Attachments Front gang of 750.jpg (46KB - 706 downloads)
Attachments JD 750 Fertilizer Tubes.jpg (74KB - 791 downloads)
Attachments D19 on JD 750.jpg (39KB - 702 downloads)
Attachments Hawkins Homestead 750 drill.jpg (49KB - 756 downloads)
Attachments Puschel 750.jpg (43KB - 700 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)