AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A soil sample result. Just because.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 7/21/2011 10:11 (#1872840)
Subject: A soil sample result. Just because.

Hi all.

This is just my opinion, but I it seems there are not all that many sample results posted, though a lot of discussion about soil samples does take place.

So,...I had had this sample taken the other day. I was with the agronomist when we took the samples, but he had never been asked to do a multi depth sampling before. I have my own sample probe and will be taking several later this year when I can spend more time doing the sample taking with better preparation. That comment is not against the agronomist that I chose to work with. I chose to ask him to come out and take the samples as I am very impressed with his willingness to learn new things about conservation farming. We will learn together.

This field is one that I have posted about on agtalk many times over the years. It is the field that I grew my first grain corn on in 2009.

A breif history. In 2004 the field was planted to nursery trees. The nursery trees take a very high amount of high salt index fertilizers for 3 years. In 2008 some of the field sat idle as we finished harvesting the other varieties of trees. In 2009 it was disk chiseled and a blend of dry N,P,and K was applied and incorporate. The corn was planted using liquid side band that included Nachurs 3-18-18. It was custom planted using the mix that the hired farmer uses on his sweet corn. I do not have that mix handy right now and my crs is quite...............uh,...............I forget.

In 2010 I one pass planted spring wheat into the corn stalkes, with no preparation whatsoever. The planting tool was posted here at the time of planting so you can see what the residue condition was. I now have soybeans planted into it, planted "no-till" with the JD 1590 only and 3-18-18 @ 3gpa with the seed. So this field was tilled in april of 2009 last.

The sample was taken in 3 parts. 0-2", then 3-6" though it will labelled as s46, and 6-10+".

I'm not asking for advice as I know what I am going to do. However, I post this for any to comment on or discuss so that more information about reading soil samples or variations of recomendations can be found when someone uses the search feature here.

The OM is a bit higher on this field than most in the area, but other than that, likely many samples in this direct area, north of Hillsboro Oregon will be similar.

2 pictures are needed to get the hole thing added here.

Thanks for looking, and commenting if you choose.

(sample.jpg)

(sample 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sample.jpg (81KB - 113 downloads)
Attachments sample 2.jpg (55KB - 99 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)