AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potato problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cotncrzy
Posted 7/21/2011 08:51 (#1872758)
Subject: Potato problem

PROSPECT, TENNESSEE
For the last couple of years our potato patch hasn't produced much of anything. Our family plants a half an acre each year to share among us. They are planted on the best soil around here. I am not sure about the fertilizer requirements for potatoes, but I usually will pour it to them. The soil ph was checked this year and was 6.3.
In the past that patch would yield three buckets on a front end loader full, ????1200 pounds???. This year it produced six five gallon buckets, the only problem was the potato beetles, we couldn't keep them off. Right in the end permitherin wouldn't even keep them off. Trifuralin was used this year instead of Eptam for grass control.
I am looking for suggestions. This potato patch is like the sweet corn patch, nothing is held back, we want to max yield. I am sure someone here can tell me "how" to grow them like we have in the past. May be variety, we have used Cobblers in the past, this year Kennebeck was all that was available. What insecticide can you use to control that damn beetle, after the potatoes were dug they moved to the Habenaro pepper plants, they eat the leaves stem, and the fruit. They are some tuff little Ba$tard$.
Patches like this is very labor intensive, as you know. We want to get all we can for our work. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)