AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sycle type mower vs discbine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/10/2007 21:53 (#160869 - in reply to #160685)
Subject: RE: sycle type mower vs discbine - golf courses

Driftless SW Wisconsin

This is an interesting thread. There are definite advantages to a disc type mower compared to sicle bar type. There are a couple posts above that also discuss the regrowth that seems to favor the sicle.

There are a number of different ways to look at the choice. I just wanted to comment on the regrowth issue.

I think you can liken a disc type haybine to a rotary type mower (horizontal spinning blades that cut by impact once the tip speed reaches a certain vcritical velocity).

I think you can like a sicle bar type mower to a reel type grass mower where thethe cutting action is a shear type cut between a moving blade and a stationary guard or knife.

No first class golf course would use a rotary mower on the fairways - they use reel type mowers. Rotaries are used on the roughs. A reel type (and properly maintained) sicle bar mower will both give you a cleaner cut of each grass blade and ultimately better regrowth due to shear rather than the rather ragged edge cut left by ANY brand impact/rotary/disc mower.

However this is only one part of the choice. After a weekend using a neighbors moco I think the best thing for my uneven ground conditions would be a sicle bar type with wheels or skids very close to the cutter bar, not way in the back as they are on most mower/conditioners. This is a big part of why I plugged it up - cannot hold consistent cutting height on rougher ground with the wheels that far from the cutter bar.

I don't have a lot of area to cover. I saw a demo in Kansas where a Reese mower with a vertical tedder or whatever they call it really did a nice job with fast drying. I think they are from NZ. But this is a different scale than most of you other posters.

Quality regrowth from this type Sicle bar setup would also be attractive. jmho.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 6/10/2007 21:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)