AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sycle type mower vs discbine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

wbachur
Posted 7/13/2011 19:55 (#1861653 - in reply to #160685)
Subject: RE: sycle type mower vs discbine

2002 purchased a discbine DSX 161 case Ih, (16') what a machine, no comparison from sickle. Just sold it last month, out of cattle since 2006, looked and performed like it did the day we got it. What we liked about the machine was the different crops that could be cut. Native hay with a sickle bar is just as painful as using a swather, slow, blades tearing the grass instead of cutting, not fun, and slow. Green feed 6' tall no problem, The disc just slices through, just keep checking the blades for wear, switch around and your back cutting. The only maitainance i did was grease that machine and change out a few crop lifters, they wear over time, 3 of them in 4 years. Plus i spent 7hrs of cleaning it after each season, making it spotless, then greasing it after, you want to clean the dirt under there, from the heat the dirt stays on the sheetmetal and around the disc's. If memeroy serves those disc's spin about 180km/h or faster.

If you have lots of rocks on your land not the best, stay with a sickle.

The discbine uses more horse power, minimum 160hp for the 16'. I had 250hp case 4690, great tractor with the 4 wheel steer. i could cut at 10mph or faster, but kept it to 6mph

Sorry to see that machine go. if i ever get back into cattle, i will purchase another one, but selfpropelled.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)