AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sycle type mower vs discbine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

HT67
Posted 6/10/2007 13:59 (#160709 - in reply to #160685)
Subject: Re: sycle type mower vs discbine

Virginia
After cutting with a disc mower conditioner for 5 years I would quit making hay if I had to mow with a sickle machine. Only advantage to a sickle is it gets along a little better in rocks. Thats why I put off getting one as long as I did. The rocks are not as much a problem as I anticipated. I don't feel they pick up any more dirt. Maintenance on disc machines is much lower, I have found. Started out with a New Idea 5312 12' center pivot. Was absolutely a piece of junk! Other New Ideas are probably OK. Gears went out on it and needed another one. Dealer I bought from sells JD and Gehl. Couldn't get a JD or NH so I ended up with a 2365 Gehl. Gehl no longer makes them any more. If buying today would be JD, NH or Hesston. Guys here are beginning to like the Hesston more and more. They claim that comparing mowing with JD, NH and Hesston the hay dries much quicker with the Hesston. Not sure if they are steel-rubber rolls or just steel. I'm not that familiar with Hesston. I Can easily cut 7 acres an hour with a 10' machine. I don't have any problems with my Gehl other than the fact they quit making them and down the road what will be the parts availability? I've been cutting hay for 50 years and only really started enjoying doing it the first time I mowed with a disc machine. Hope this helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)