AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for some of the new equipment buyers.(some, not all)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEBeef
Posted 5/23/2011 12:25 (#1787764 - in reply to #1787584)
Subject: RE: Question for some of the new equipment buyers.(some, not all)

I re-started our farm after it had been idle for a couple generations, part-time still. So when I started I had to buy pretty much everything, and certainly couldn't afford new anything. Over the past 30 years I've upgraded most all equipment buying new and used, I'm at the point now where most of my equipment (except for tractors) was bought new. I definitely have some used equipment as some pieces are several years old. but I do make a distinction between equipment I bought used and equipment I bought new and is now used, as I know the complete history of the equipment I bought new. Doesn't mean they don't breakdown, they do, but they don't break down from abuse or lack of service and so I usually have no hesitation about fixing them right.

Something that may not seem obvious, but I've found that as a part-timer I need more reliable equipment that the full-timers I sometimes work next to. If their baler breaks, they can get up the next morning and hopefully have to fixed by the time the hay is ready to bale. If my baler is down, I got to fix it when I get home, including getting parts, and hope I still got enough hours of daylight left to do the job. So on a smaller budget, buying new equipment is pretty painful, but over the course of a bunch of years it pays off for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)