AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kookier
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Posted 5/16/2011 11:40 (#1777847 - in reply to #1777601)
Subject: RE: good post

west central Iowa
tigger - 5/16/2011 08:02

It is not easy to overturn a law in the courts, so any minor technicality can get it thrown out.  Sometimes it's been the small size of the claims and the timing of arguements being made late in the appeals process, so just because the old law is upheld does not mean it is not on thin ice.  Laws are better made in the legislature.  The court mostly tries to enforce the laws on the books as they are.  

One school of thought is the responsibility to build a cattle tight fence ought to be tied to ownership of the land.  That seems to be your school of thought.  That's been the tradition.  It works well when both parties have use for the fence and share in the cost.  I do not have a problem with it at all if both parties have a use for the fence and share the cost.

My school of thought is the responsibility to fence in one's own cattle ought to be tied to ownership of the cattle.  That would make much more sense here where over 90% of the time, one of the neighbors does not have or want cattle running on their own land and would otherwise not be building a new fence.  (Again, in cases where cattle are on both sides of the fence, the cost would be shared.)  Most of the existing fences here have not been used or maintained for decades.  The newer law in Missouri makes a lot more sense to me.  

Most of the time in my neighborhood, the current law forces money out of a neighbors pocket to pay for something they otherwise would not want or need any more than a wall of flaming pink flamingos.  Current Iowa fence law makes it so, and none of the comments made here in all of this discussion make that right in my opinion.  We will have to agree to disagree.

I would have no problem with a law like Missouri and the fact that I started a thread by proposing something like that should have demonstrated that. If I read the Missouri law right a non livestock landowner would have to reimburse the livestock owner that put in the fence half of the total cost not prorated or depreciated if they started using the fence.
My arguement all along I shouldn't be forced to provide the total fence if the neighbor is going to end up using it. That would no more right than you putting in fence that has no value to you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)