AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wonder how much of the milk price will reach the dairy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

OMC260
Posted 6/7/2007 23:23 (#159919 - in reply to #159874)
Subject: Re: Wonder how much of the milk price will reach the dairy?

Sioux Center, Iowa
Pfl, I didn't mean to accuse you of whining. You previously mentioned those that needed to make up for poor years. There are those that have so much overhead they need $14 or $16 to break even. They should have seen that before they dug themselves in that deep.

Feed costs. I'm still feeding corn I bought 1 1/2 years ago for 1.85. Bought a years worth of cotton seed last fall for 159. Bought all my nitrogen, seed and spray last fall. Have enough fuel storage on the yard for a year. Granted, if we're fair, we have to figure opportunity cost of having money tied up in prepays and stored commodities. And I'll also grant that if a guy figured his total net worth and the opportunity cost on that, there may be times when he could better have it stuck in a differrent investment than farming if milk is $10. But that's not possible to jump in and out in this bussiness. I'm just saying that I feel really disgusted when we as farmers have to go whine to the government for a handout when times get a little slim. What other business in town gets that privilage. How do the consumers of our product perceive us???
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)