AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wonder how much of the milk price will reach the dairy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

OMC260
Posted 6/7/2007 09:05 (#159589 - in reply to #159424)
Subject: Re: Wonder how much of the milk price will reach the dairy?

Sioux Center, Iowa
Efficiency and hard work. We don't overlook any details. And there are a lot of details, which all fit into the big picture. High produciton. Try to get all the quality premiums available. Herd health. Cow comfort. Try to Keep every single calf alive. Try to have every calf BORN live, including twins. Buy everything in bulk- a years worth if necessary.

We're a closed 120 cow herd. Haven't bought a critter in 25 yrs. Do pretty much everything ourselves from inseminating to hoof trimming to vet work to equipment maintenance. We even do custom haying on the side. Feed out our own steers if the market looks good. Sell springers regularly. So far, we haven't had hispanic labor, but I would in a heartbeat if I couldn't find a white. We have 3 part time employees and 2 fulltime (family) .

There hasn't been a year that we haven't made a profit. Just some more than others. I want it clear that I'm not trying to blow a lot of hot air here, just annoys the heck out of me when people whine and moan when I know it can be different.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)