AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wonder how much of the milk price will reach the dairy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 6/7/2007 19:30 (#159816 - in reply to #159793)
Subject: Re: Wonder how much of the milk price will reach the dairy?

Little River, TX
Man from what I remember about PA it is crowded and costly.

As far back as I have heard talk, my Great Grandfather raised wheat in Eastern Bucks County, Not all that far from Washington's Crossing. Then the Panic of the 1890's hit, the McCormick Reaper was going strong, The steam powered thrasher, and the western homestead lands kicked in. Wheat went from $2 /Bu to $0.25. Then they started selling butter, put in a lot more cows and ended up sending milk to Philadelphia on the milk train. Four of the 12 kids ended up with a dairy. One may still be milking cows, or at least one of their Kids or Grandkid, maybe Great Grandkid. Cousin Ted sold out for a shopping mall maybe 15 years ago, when he turned 70.
The catch was, and probably is, the local taxes kept going higher than their income.
Pop lit a shuck for Texas looking for orange trees and ended up with cotton and alfalfa. Alfalfa paid better than cotton so he went 100% alfalfa.
There is more romance in alfalfa hay, but there is a better market, Here, for quality bermudagrass hay.
I have a few customers who will come 150 miles to buy quality hay for their favorite animals. Most sells within 15 miles of the house.

I sell for more than off an out of state truck and less than at the feed store.

At one time there was 35 dairies, less than 50 cows, to buy alfalfa. Now the dairy customer has maybe 50 dairy goats. Ten Jerseys will produce more milk, with 60 fewer teats. Their milk sells for a good price. Some of the larger ones sell to a cheese plant at $35/ C. The others make their own cheese, drink the milk and make soap. Mostly teaching the children the value of work. Never met a milk goat person who was not a great individual with a great family. Some look a little funny and act a little peculiar, but they are buying hay from a fellow who is home made ugly, and prone to be just as peculiar. Want to grow up to be just like my Grandfather, got thrown out of the Friends Retirement Home at 94 for being a disruptive influence. Drag racing wheel chairs in the halls.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)