AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven Sidekick problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/14/2006 09:19 (#12068 - in reply to #11982)
Subject: RE: Raven Sidekick problem

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.

I use my SideKick at the 22 oz (Rup for me) with a 60' boom and a ground speed of 7 MPH with my trailer sprayer. I am able to spray with this combination quite nicely.

My necessary output per minute should be substantially less than yours as I assume your ground speed and boom width are consideraby larger numbers.

Mine is an older pump where they still used a motor with a belt drive leading to the actual pump. The newer models are direct drive but I actually prefer the older style where at the lower volumes/minute, the motor can still run a respectable speed.

The change was made to try to handle a larger range of flow rates. On a self-propelled sprayer with larger booms, the flow rate at a slow speed with several booms off to the maximum situation of high ground speed with all booms ON results in a wide range of flow demands. The direct drive arrangement can handle this range better but I feel it has more difficulty at the low end as compared to a "geared down" arrangement.

As you are probably aware, the LED flow switch indicator on the SideKick console is an indication of the shuttle piston moving sideways between the two cylinders of the pump. The idea is that if both cylinders are pumping product that this shuttle piston will be moving back and forth between the alternating piston movements. This will cause the LED on the SideKick to blink. The rate of the blink is actually an indication of the pump rotational speed also. If the LED should stay ON or stay OFF, the idea is that the shuttle piston may not be moving back and forth.

There are several possibilities: 1) one of the pistons is not moving product (stuck valves etc.) 2) There is a problem with the switch or its adjustment. If you see the switch work most of the time but "skip" a beat now and then, it might be a matter of adjustment. The switch assembly that I am referring to has some slots which allow you to slide the sensor switch sideways.

Also we always install a "redball" type flowmonitor in all Direct Injection situations (except N-Serv with NH3). It is very reassuring to check the Redball and notice its position relative to past experience.

Heres a picture of a 4700 we did - notice the visual flow monitor in the lower window.  We sometimes mount these in different locations based on the operators preference:  http://www.ld-ag.com/interiorviewofjd4700/

Edited by tedbear 5/14/2006 09:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)