AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AgLeader's Closed Software System
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

wilbev
Posted 2/25/2011 16:11 (#1635769 - in reply to #1635513)
Subject: RE: Main man behind FODM hates shapefiles

Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty have that have their doubts considering the history of these efforts. I guess one could argue that the industry has never had the right people in the room so to speak. And not having the growers in the room could be a problem. However, I do have some faith the hardware and software companies involved have a good idea what the farmers need. I personally think the efforts from a single company or 2 or 3 companies have fallen short because they have built their standards internally without the combined feedback from all the big players in the industry. If the big players are involved with it from the start, then they can have more ownership and voice in the final specification. I think the 1 or 2 company efforts works if they basically own the majority of the market share, like Microsoft does in the OS and Office software world.

As for the ISO 11783 or TSL formats, maybe these efforts can be utilized in the AgGateway effort. At the very least they can be used as a learning mechanism on what those efforts may have done wrong and possibly avoid. Also maybe the timing is better now and the earlier efforts came too early before the internet, technology, precision ag, etc. is as big as it is now. Sure, this whole process could fail but I think it has a much greater chance if most of us can stay optimistic that it can succeed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)