AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AgLeader's Closed Software System
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

wilbev
Posted 2/23/2011 14:16 (#1631212 - in reply to #1630477)
Subject: Re: AgLeader's Closed Software System

What makes you think a shape file can't handle everything you're describing? What you're describing is exactly what a shape file is designed for, spatial data. Fields or attributes of data with the option to store them spatially.

Wow, you are really full of mis-information. The shape file is fully supported by Esri most current version and for many more to come. They never dropped. Their push now is to store data directly in a database vs. a file. ArcExplorer is now called ArcGIS Explorer and is their free offering. The shape file was not designed for it but rather all of their software. Shape files utilize a .prj file to handle their projection information, so you can't say they don't have projection information.

Everything you speak of is completely achievable with a shape file. My defending these companies that don't use it you're only aiding in the mess we have today. I still want someone to answer why Ag Leader encrypt files? My main point is they do their own file formats for marketing reasons, not technical reasons. Obviously someone convinced you that it's for technical reasons which is exactly what the marketing people at these companies want you to believe. So we continue in this mess of file formats. Wonderful....

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)