AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IF I wanted to put 40-50 cows...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 4/22/2007 11:15 (#140499 - in reply to #140453)
Subject: Jack in reply of your question

This is across a busy highway from my place,,,so yes it is,,but a pain to move them back and forth,,,basicly a trailer shot both ways. WE used to run them across years ago,,,but just too many things to get into(like fields) during crop season and then there are stupid calves that take off and dont stay with momma. I even wintered some cows over there and brought them back over the othr day. Cost me over a half dozen corral panels,they wrecked them faster than I could throw them at the holes they made. They stick their head thru the panel and PUSH till they walk thru. I thought lighter panels would work better for me,myself,and I moving them,shouda thought again. NEVER EVER
BUT back to locking them up,,,I guess I could 'hot wire them into the paddock(about 2-3 acres of sand) where the windmill is. This pasture really shines when it gets hot tho. When all the bottom pastures are burnt up and the brome is all gone and so is the bluegrass on creek bottoms this one has that 'short' warm season-grass on top of those knobs,,,and when it gets hotter than hades they really pack on the pounds when the creek bottoms they are holding or losing their weights. BUT overgraze it and the ground turns white.(and blows)

Maybe the best management is just to depop a few head and run normal...or dry lot a few pairs. Too small a bunch of calves tho arent real profitable at sale time. And fats ,,,takes a semi load at least to attract a packer any more. OR pay the trucking costs for 120 mile haul.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)