AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Edmunds F450 Powerstroke test....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mike in sw mn
Posted 4/12/2007 16:17 (#135383 - in reply to #135245)
Subject: RE: Edmunds F450 Powerstroke test....

Walnut Grove MN USA
Turbos hooked in series is Fords answer to the problematic variable geometry turbo. Caterpillar is also useing twins on some of there engines in class 8 trucks, I presume for emission standards. Stepping out of the OEM world and into the high performance world you find multiple turbos quite often on race cars, trucks, and pulling tractors. Maybe drag boats too but I don't follow that. The hot mod for the Dodge Cummins now is a twin turbo setup similar to what Ford has. Gives better all around drivability. One small turbo works well at low rpm but isn't capable of monster power at high rpm. One big turbo will blow a lot of air but takes forever to get spinning. Put them in series and you get the best of both worlds but at a big $ cost, about $5-6000. Used generally with engines above 450 hp. I think super stock pulling tractors use up to four turbos but I don't know if they are in series or not, Never looked under the hood of one. Many v-8 gas/alcohol race cars run two turbos but they are setup like two 4 cylinder engines with a turbo on each side, mostly because the block and heads can't handle the 60+psi boost of a in series setup, they are looking at most 20psi and many don't exceed 10. My Dodge Cummins will hit 25psi at the peak and the common rule is that engine is good to about 45 psi then the head gasket go south. Plane the block and head square, use head studs, and O-ring the block and you can go to 60psi. I think you will see more multiple turbo setups on engines that the rpm goes up and down a lot, probably not so much on farm tractors and combines and such because they work in a relatively narrow rpm range most of the time and that is fine by me. If your first turbo goes kaplooi it is going to take number two as well. That will get very spendy.

Edit: This was supposed to go under cbiers reply

Edited by mike in sw mn 4/12/2007 16:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)