AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter question for the Southern farmers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Deadduck
Posted 4/11/2007 17:30 (#134753 - in reply to #134681)
Subject: Glad to be of help

Northeast Louisiana
When I worked for Monsanto in Memphis, we had a lot of midwestern guys come down from St. Louis that had never seen a cotton field. The first question was always why we had raised beds. The first time I was asked that, I kind of stumbled around for the answer. I had an ag degree, but planting cotton on beds was so commonplace that I never had given it any thought.

I have some land that isn't suitable for cotton that I always plant soybeans on. It's probably been 5 or 6 years since it's seen a plow, and that was because we'd rutted it up. In our bedded fields, if we don't irrigate down the middles, we may go several years of strickly no till, using the old beds. But if we are running water down the middles, we've learned the hard way that it won't water well if the rows aren't refreshed every year, so we usually run a set of hippers or nowdays a Buster/Roller over the old rows in the fall to pull them back up. When spring comes, we burn down and plant, and no till after that.

One thing I like about the forum is getting to see how things are done in other parts of the country.

Have a good one,

Keith
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)