AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rotor losses with 2588 in corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Brandon
Posted 9/9/2010 22:14 (#1353393)
Subject: Rotor losses with 2588 in corn

Illinois
Running a 2588 this year in high yielding (180-225 bu) corn with 8 row head and getting unaaceptable rotor loss. Moisture is 16-19%. Speed is 4.2ish. I have tried rotor RPMs from 360-450 and concaves from 3-4.5. Tighter seems to help with the losses, because a kill stall indicated that we were sending unshelled pieces of ear out the back of the rotor, which were getting chopped and appeared to be threshed losses.

Embarrasingly enough, I discovered that all wires are still in the concaves, so I assume removing some will help. While in the shop, should I also retard the rear veins? All are now in the mid position. The dealer says he cannot get much difference out of retarding the veins. If I do, can I leave them retarded for soybeans? Should I remove every other wire in the 2nd and 3rd sections of concaves?

Also, I can tighten chaffer to produce a clean sample but then chaffer losses become significant. Opening to acceptable losses leaves some trash in the tank.

What can I do to get this machine to perform like it should? Am I right that the AFX rotor has hurt performance in corn?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)