AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Did a wheat N trial tonight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 7/26/2010 23:22 (#1289626)
Subject: Did a wheat N trial tonight

Amherst WI
50# of N 36.5 bu/ac

75# of N 34.6 bu/ac

100# of N 38.7 bu/ac

Conclusion of this? Weld the door shut on the combine until October and only do fall crops. We are/have been in the garden of Eden this year and this is all I can do for yield on wheat.

This field was soybeans last year, no-till with a JD 750 drill the first week of October with 150# of 9-23-30 used as starter. Seeding rate was 105#/ac. The varitey was Pro 200 or 240 (I can't rememeber which). I used 32% with water and 2,4-D for 15# of N and the rest was 34-0-0.

The field averaged 42 ish (the wheat is still on the carts) and was my best one. I had two other fields that I cut too and they were in the mid to low 30's for yields.

I planted just over 70 acres and about 28 acres made it through the winter. If I didn't have 1000 bu sold for 2011 for $5.80 I wouldn't even try again. No matter what I do to wheat I can't get it to yeild, and every year a large portion of it dies out over winter. Planting date doesn't seem to matter on survival. If I manage it well I get 35 bu, if I treat it like crap I get 35 bu.

Sorry about the rant, but after looking at this wheat all year, I thought this was finally going to be "the" year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)