AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tired of being "at the top of the list" I WANT MY STUFF SPRAYED
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 6/21/2010 08:41 (#1245069 - in reply to #1245054)
Subject: Re: Tired of being "at the top of the list" I WANT MY STUFF SPRAYED

I agree with Martin, there are times that you can be doing something else that will make you more money than the $5-$7.50/ ac custom spray charge. A custom applicator can be a very cheap hired man in certain situations, especially if your working buy yourself or shorthanded.

I have been both routes, done it myself & have hired it sprayed. Started out when farming by myself hiring it done. Then I built my own spray boom & mounted it on a tractor loader & sprayed my own for several years. After my son graduated from college & came back to the farm we purchased our own sprayer & have been spraying our own since. Even with our own sprayer we hired all our pre put down this year simply because we were so far behind from the late harvest last year, actually finished this year. It was one of the best expenses we could have made and I have no regrets doing it. With the wet May, I'm not so sure we would have been done planting if one of us would have had to stop doing what we were doing to run the sprayer.

IIRC, IQH is just getting started in farming. Seems like this may be his 2nd or maybe 3rd year. I know when I was first starting out farming I couldn't afford to buy every piece of machinery I wanted. Maybe a few need to take the time to find out all the details as to why he has been hiring his spraying done rather than criticising him for not owning his own sprayer
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)