AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips for moving grainbin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 5/16/2010 07:59 (#1201543 - in reply to #1201307)
Subject: Re: Tips for moving grainbin

West Union, Illinois

hay_rules - first i would to the crane boom truck anything but jacks ...
You'd be a lot easier to read with a little punctuation and a few breaks, but yes on what you were saying. A boom truck or excavator is much better than trying to do it with jacks.

We have one dryer bin that has been moved twice.  The first time it was jacked up and a sled put under it and moved a few hundred feet.

The second time a boom truck was used to pick it up.  We split the bottom ... I think 3 rings ... off it.  The top was place on a 28 ft John Deere Donahue type trailer, bottom on another, and moved 5 miles up the road. Fortunately there were no hi-line or traffic issues.

It has a Stir-ator in it but it was moved separately.

As I recall they bolted angle iron anchors in 4-6 equally spaced places inside the bin and used chains to tie to the hook on the boom.  We were having it done by a local bin company so we told them what we wanted done and got out of their way.

The biggest problem was when we put the floor back in.  Dad got one piece mis-labeled and the sump in the center is now one section off-center.  Our sweep auger is just a hair too short so it still works, and we never felt it was enough of a problem to take the floor out again.

(moved bin.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments moved bin.jpg (44KB - 53 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)