AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Economics of No-Till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 5/6/2010 16:20 (#1187876 - in reply to #1187823)
Subject: Re: Economics of No-Till

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!
<p>First off, it is so different there than here where we fight excessive moisture nearly every year. I do have a few questions. 1. How much snow does the bare fallow catch? </p><p>2.Do you ever chemfallow? </p><p>3.Do you grow lentils or chickpeas? </p><p>4.What do you use for fertilizer? </p><p>5.What does the summerfallow year cost? </p><p>6.Do you soil test? </p><p>There are many dry areas no-tilling now adays, however, with average yields you get on summerfallow, you must be awfull dry most years, or else fertility is suspect. Do you think after all these years your soil has been mined to an extent?</p><p> I know in a lot of former tillage areas that the moisture was less of a concern than fertility, after further results and testing.</p><p> If you are consistently that dry, I can see how you could be limited, and that the risk would be too great... </p><p>Just looked up radville on the map. You must be wetter than swift current, or mossbank, etc.??? </p><p>As well, in the earlier post you had talked about solonetzic soils. Perhaps this is more limiting than the actual moisture deficit? Do you have any non-solonetzic soil you farm to expirament with? Sorry for all the questions, adn sorry I really am not much help, as I said before, I have never really, really been too desperate for rain, and so comparing my costs and yours, is futile. We lack in yield on wet years.</p><p> We crave a half drought most of the time. Bizarre, hey? Your probably 4 hours south of me, quite a difference. I have harrowed one field of sod on April 21st, the earliest I had been in the field, but now we haven't seen the sun in over a week, had snow, rain, and are stinking wet. Not sure when we'll get out there. Been freezing every night. Did you guys get some moisture?</p>

Edited by canadianeh? 5/6/2010 16:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)