AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help !! neighboring wetlands causing drainage problems ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

berkley
Posted 4/23/2010 00:49 (#1171036)
Subject: Help !! neighboring wetlands causing drainage problems ???

Brownville Nebraska
I am a young farmer that bought a farm along the Missouri River a few years back. The down stream landowners since have put there land in wetlands and have ponds and other projects built on them. Well in the last few flood years sediment, sticks, and logs have plugged my drainage across there properties and is holding water from draining off my field. I have made the investment to dig out my ditches, fix my personal levees, and put a pivot on it; basically putting any profit i made back into the farm to make it the best it can be. The farm is 200 acres and I could probably fight the wet soils and get 140 acres of it planted. I can get permission from land owners to dig a ditch to drain it (at my cost) but the wetlands people (corp of engineers and NRCS) are holding me up. I have contacted my local NRCS offical and did a meeting with him at the farm showing him the situation, but at this rate the I will be retired before its fixed. Does anyone know someone with any sense and higher rank that help me resolve this problem. I feel like they are trying to force me to put my farm into wetlands. This farm is not a low laying field and is very fertile made soil. The current water level at low end of field is well above the river level. I have pumped the water off with gator pump but it seaps back in my flapper on my drain tube.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)