AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting frustrated!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cotman
Posted 4/6/2010 08:45 (#1151911)
Subject: Getting frustrated!

NW Tennessee

Well, this is looking to be a repeat of last spring "here". We have managed to do about three days of field work this spring. The really rutted ground hasn't gotten anywhere close to being dry enough to get on. What three days we have gotten, we ran three tractors hard, but everything we have done was pretty much right in front of substantial rain. Some of the ground we worked, the poa annua (sp?) barely checked up and is almost as green as before. Could have dried out some ground last Friday to plant Saturday, but it rained Friday night. Ground might work tomorrow to plant Thursday or Friday, but a good chance of heavy rain tomorrow and tomorrow night. Every time our ground gets close to dry, it rains again. Besides the corn planting, we really need to get some cotton ground bedded up so it can settle and mellow out before planting. Sprayed some pasture going in to row crop a few weeks ago (it was really even too wet to be on), then it turned off colder, longer than I expected and got less than desired results. Now, to top it off, yesterday we found a pretty major and costly problem with our 4960, at least too big for us to handle, so it will be down for probably a week or more for the second time in as many years. Worst thing about that is, I should have seen it coming a long time ago and taken care of it, so this time the downtime is pretty much my own fault.

Now before somebody tells me, I realize this is just the nature of farming and I don't mean to whine. I also realize, things could be a lot worse and I am thankful for my blessings everyday. I don't have to look far to see a lot of people a lot worse off than I am. I just needed to vent a little. As I said, just a little frustration setting in. Hope everybody has a great day, I plan to try.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)