AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Peas and Sweet Corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/23/2007 08:14 (#109584 - in reply to #109026)
Subject: Agree with Greywolf

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I've grown up with raising peas and sweet corn. I'm old enough to have worked the old stationary "pea viners" that were located around the area. My Dad, brother and I used to raise them on a regular basis.

Now my nephew plants peas only. The reason besing that this land is then available in early summer for hog manure application which needs to be done in that time frame. Later this field is usually planted into some type of small grain (often barely) after the manure is hauled to provide a cover crop. This cover crop is sometimes harvested for cattle forage.

I agree completely with Greywolf in his comments about the govt programs limitations and problems.

I also agree with the need to provide some type of "cover crop" after the peas are harvested. Coffee Shop talk this week seems to confirm that the local processing plants in this area are having problems securing acres and have raised the prices on Sweet Corn considerably. One long time grower told me that they have reinstated an old policy of "grading". Last year the farmer was paid on the gross weight of the loads, this year with the higher price, the loads will be graded which means that the "paid" weight might be reduced based on a subjective judgement.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)