AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the difference between these two corn fields. Quiz +pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hayinhere
Posted 3/11/2010 16:46 (#1115612 - in reply to #1115568)
Subject: Re: What is the difference between these two corn fields. Quiz +pics

Central NE

Paul, here are four more pictures all taken from parts of the 320 acre field where the pictures above were taken. and explinations:

Picture 1 Fall 2008 next to last cutting of alfalfa in the lowest area.  Water you see is not from rain, but from the neighbors exessive irrigation runoff after I had cut. Water had drowned out the alfalfa in this area.  In this grassy area, killed with spray before NT corn with no nitrogen in 2009 only yielded 120-150bpa.  best soil test on the farm is in this drown out area.

Picture 2 Fall 2008 taken Oct 1  at the end of the corn rows you can see the drown out and grassy spot from pic 1  This flat bottom area of good alfalfa and good black soil was killed by spraying this spring , NT corn and made 180-200bpa. the corn you see growing in that pic made over 200 in 08

Picture 3 Fall 2008 taken Oct 1 at the more hilly part of the field shows the good alfalfa stand that existed, spring killed and NT planted corn (see picture 4)

Picture 4 Spring 2009 after the alfalfa had been sprayed and corn NT planted. This well drained ground with shallow topsoil following the good stand of alfalfa made over 200bpa.

These areas have never had manure or nitrogen yet.  This is my home grown test plot. I should also add that some of these areas are irrigated and some are not.

In my opinon, 200 bpa without nitrogen is highly unlikely following grassy plants- in that case use manure.

Edited for corrections

Edited by Hayinhere 3/11/2010 19:40

(2008 Woods drown out alfalfa (Medium).jpg)

(2008 Oct 1 Woods south (Medium).jpg)

(2008 Oct 1 Woods (Medium).jpg)

(2009 Spring North Woods (Medium).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2008 Woods drown out alfalfa (Medium).jpg (56KB - 52 downloads)
Attachments 2008 Oct 1 Woods south (Medium).jpg (71KB - 49 downloads)
Attachments 2008 Oct 1 Woods (Medium).jpg (58KB - 50 downloads)
Attachments 2009 Spring North Woods (Medium).jpg (57KB - 53 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)