AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic Wheat Help?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SKOrg
Posted 3/10/2010 19:17 (#1114196 - in reply to #1114069)
Subject: Re: Organic Wheat Help?

Saskatchewan
Yes I have a Organic grain operation, been Cert. since 2001. I'm happy that did the switch, it was more for my own health really. Nice to have the organic prices but not really why I farm like this, conventional farming is so unhealthy!

It's my opinion that it would be okay to grow Flax, you could look for some organic seed flax that's been tested for GMO. You could use conventional cert. seed that's been tested too, just get a organic seed exemption for that crop. I always like to contract flax, at least you can budget on the price and good to stick with one customer to develop a relationship, it takes the pressure off marketing end. I think right now for new crop contracts are for Brown Flax, it's a around the 18-19 dollar range. Which is not the best, but at least there is a demand for it and might be awhile before the markets come back up.

The organic hemp market is strong right now, it's about $1 lb new crop contracts which is pretty darn good. But it's not a sure thing for us in southern Saskatchewan and is a pain to grow and to harvest, it likes moisture, cooler weather and lots of N. But before you grow it, get a contract. Hemp Oil Canada was looking for as much organic hemp contracts as they get a hold of, not sure if they are still. They arrange the seed and help with any production questions. There is some paper work with Health Canada to get a license to grow hemp which also requires you to get police check, but just part of it and at least we can in Canada grow it.....the number one reason why the strong market! Might be a good crop for you to grow, because it's a small field that would have lots nutrients available and up north you would have a cooler climate.

If you like e-mail sometime, that would be okay.
[email protected]

Brent

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)