AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic Wheat Help?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SKOrg
Posted 3/10/2010 12:04 (#1113756 - in reply to #1113698)
Subject: Re: Organic Wheat Help?

Saskatchewan
I always would seed about 130 lbs per acre but 180 lbs would be okay too especially if you are going to plan to rod weed after it's up because you are going thin a lot of wheat out. It's a tricky thing to rod weed after it's up, it's has a lot to do with the soil conditions and stage the wheat is in, so really not my number one choice, sort of last resort if the wild oats are really bad. If I do rod weed, I try to wait until the wheat is nicely spouted and rod weed up above the seed.
One thing you should think about is grow flax or even hemp on the that land. Since it's been on alfalfa for awhile the weeds shouldn't be an issue, but organics is a funny thing though....you never know. But as get into organic farming.....you have to live with your weeds! I think you should consider too that the organic wheat markets, price is really not that good at all, if you can find a buyer. Also the Wheat Market buyers are wanting Bio-Suisse Cert too, there is a lot Wheat out there in the bins....so it's really the buyers market now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)