AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you hook your generator to your house?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

kduffy
Posted 1/3/2010 23:45 (#1001642 - in reply to #1001012)
Subject: Re: How do you hook your generator to your house?

Burlington, KS
Our local electric COOP requires a visible break (disconnect) (a breaker does not meet this requirement), between them and a generator, this can be achieved by a disconnect or by pulling the meter. The lineman agent told me that if I needed to power up with a generator that I should pull the meter before hooking up, and let him know, he would come by and put on a new lock tab. He knows me, and that I have been a power plant operator and maintenance electrician and am well versed in alignments of power and generators, so he was very comfortable with telling me to do this. I installed everything from the meter can to the house and shop in my three phase installation as well, so he was familiar with my competence. You should never remove a meter without approval, and never work with this equipment if you are not comfortable with and knowledgeable of the dangers. Never try to reinstall a meter without testing, and always have the main breaker open. You have heard of Rail Guns? Installing a meter on a fault essentially builds an electric launch pad! Use your weak hand and stand to the side, even if you are sure there are no problems. If you know of problems, you will not try to reinstall a meter. If you are not comfortable leave it to the linemen, they will likely be glad to help knowing that you were looking out for them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)