AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agrisure traits...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

StarAg
Posted 12/30/2009 21:43 (#994242 - in reply to #994022)
Subject: Re: It's the genetics stupid!!

NC Iowa
seedman88 - 12/30/2009 20:08

Agrisure traits would have absolutely no effect on dry down. Farmers commonly mistake traits for genetics. All a trait does is tack on protection from OUTSIDE influences on a plant, and allow for a herbicide like roundup. The genetics are what comes from the inside, and that is where maturity, dry down, stalk strength, ect. come from.

This quote has been overused since Clinton used it to win the presidency in 92 when he said "It's the economy stupid." I mean no disrespect but non of the replies to my post on the possibility of the influence on moisture retention of the genetic pedigrees and the male and females used was even addressed. I have referred to the genetics quite often on this forum and the importance of understanding what you are planting. I don't think many on this forum get it and until you do you are destined to repeat the mistakes of the past by chasing after last years best hybrid which may or may not be nexts years best. I know some get it because in my training events I have seen when the light bulb goes on and the WOW I never thought of that before occurs. This forum is used to help farmers improve yields by sharing ideas. I have been sharing this idea and feel very few are listening. I have seen many posts where guys are asking if a particular product is the same as that of another company. There is a way to find out but it takes time. And even then I don't think people understand that just because you figure out common pedigrees, it doesn't mean you will be successful planting them. The interaction between soil type, CPP, fertility and geneitcs is so complex. I don't have all the answers but I have spend the better part of 20 some years walking research plots and observing how different companies genetics repond to different environments. I think $100's of dollors per acre are lost each year because of lack of understanding on how all this fits together. Some of you may get lucky for several years but eventually the environment will change and your favorite hybrid will fail you. Wouldn't it be interesting to improve the odds up front each year with a more predictable system of hybrid selection??

Edited by StarAg 12/30/2009 22:04

(Right genetics this year. Harvested lst week of Nov with huge yield and moisture in low 20's.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Right genetics this year. Harvested lst week of Nov with huge yield and moisture in low 20's.jpg (53KB - 92 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)