AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin Row Strip-Till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 12/16/2009 19:33 (#970216 - in reply to #970023)
Subject: Re: Twin Row Strip-Till

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Yes, especially if you are using dry fertilizer, there is some value to working a strip and having your fertilizer right next to the plant... As long as you realize that in some spots where you are not centered on the strip you are going to essentially be no tilling rather than strip tilling.

I am not sure what KL did this past year. As Bruce mentions, his reason for twin rows is to keep weeds down and eliminate a pass with the RU. He likes the other benefits of strip till. Nothing says that you have to be a purist either way.

I do know some shank-type strip till folks in SD that went from twins back to straight 30's rather than give up the strip till but they had different goals, soils etc. I don't know what their reasoning was.

I was on a program with a nearby Illinois coop manager not too long ago. They do a lot of custom strip till with a knife type machine. He presented some extensive data on the differences in yield where they were on the knife strip vs off of the strip.

If your 30" planter is equipped with something like our 1572 Coulter Combo and 2 Curvetines, in many soils and climates you will be covered for being off of a narrow strip. This planter setup is very helpful for 30" folks using a mole-knife type strip till machine as insurance when they wander from the defined strip.

Personally I think twin rows make more sense in either worked ground or straight no till than they do in strip till. jmho. KL probably feels otherwise in his particular location and system. He certainly is careful and data-oriented. Not criticizing anyone's products or methods. Just what I have seen.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 12/16/2009 19:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)