AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many acres per hybrid do you usually plant?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Scott (OSU)
Posted 12/13/2009 20:35 (#964904 - in reply to #964437)
Subject: Re: How many acres per hybrid do you usually plant?

Dalton, OH

No, I do not base my seed purchases on price only.  That is one of many factors I consider.  I do expect companies to be competitive, though.  If one company is $40 per bag cheaper for similar stuff and everything else is the same, seed quality, germ, etc., then its going to save me a lot of money.  Approximatly $17 per acre savings over 1,000 acres is a nice paycheck to take home, so long as it yields just as well.  I plant other companies seed and some flop and some do well.  Same thing has happened with Leon's seed.  I've had some flops and I've had some real winners.  Usually there are less flops with his, though.  I value Leon's expertise, but as with anything, he won't be around forever.  I probably wouldn't buy seed from his company if it wasn't for Leon.  So I always try to keep more than one option open at all times, plus a little competition is good at times.  People do it to me in the hay business all the time.  It worked well on my beans this year as I will be paying almost 50% off list price and that includes cruisermax treatment!

I'm curious what you consider a fair price???  What's fair to you might not be fair to me or your neighbor.  I need to watch all of my costs.  Just because we have good crop prices now, doesn't mean they will be around forever.  Did you consider $800+ per ton potash a fair price??  Its half that now and I still don't know if I consider it fair.

Just some things for thought.  I do think First Choice corn does well and Leon is an excellent person to work with.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)