AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall field work vs spring field work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 12/13/2009 07:09 (#963483 - in reply to #962800)
Subject: Re: Fall field work vs spring field work

Aberdeen MS
2 factors IMO whether it works well or not.

Soil type and spring conditions.

Dry spring..... go for it, I've been successful before. In the fall I was only able to get under the "frost" layer due to traction and HP limits. Left some awful looking fields that the FC absolutely would not straighten out in the spring without multiple passes. Got lucky with a drier than normal spring and "reripped" them about 8" deep, one pass with the FC and planted into a beautiful soil profile.

Heavier, poorer drained soil with a normal to wetter than normal spring and you have the potential for a disaster throughout the growing season.

Some times you have to roll the dice and go for it, but until someone invents the crystal ball to see what the year brings for growing conditions, I don't gamble too heavily on the "wild" side.

Edited to add:

Freeze/thaw cycles only really effect the top couple inches in northern climates. A one time freeze thaw doesn't do much for breaking up compaction or better percolation of water in the deeper soil profile. It takes repeated cycles to effectively accomplish soil profile breakup with freeze/thaw. Deeper frost than 6" or so is usually only a one time occurrence per year.

Edited by Greywolf 12/13/2009 07:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)