AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ripping with no till ripper
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

iafarmerken
Posted 11/22/2009 23:04 (#934784 - in reply to #933421)
Subject: Re: Ripping with no till ripper

Western Iowa
I just got my case 2500 with the no till winged tips this fall. The plan is to rip with the rows then plant off to the side of the slot next spring. I cant plant on the slot because my planter and my ripper aren't the same width. It would be nice to plant right on the slot but it would be impossible even with guidance. I run omni xp and will try to plant half way between the slot and last years stalk rows. It looks like it will be smooth enough to plant at an angle if I have trouble plugging with the rows. So far I have ripped 400 acres and like the job it is doing. Deepest I can pull my 5 shank is 12 to 14 inches but the fuel usage is 1.5gal/ acre so I wouldn't want to go any deeper. This is also why I want to skip non compacted rows and just rip the auger wagon and combine tracks. It really cracks and heaves the ground in the compacted spots and lays it back down nice and smooth. Sometimes it brings up clods but these should mellow out by spring.

One thing to be careful about spring usage of this tool is smearing of the slot wall in damp conditions. Roots hate sidewall smearing and can be bad for development. If dry enough, give it a try and let us know how it turns out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)