AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How good is T2?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Applicator
Posted 4/19/2006 10:40 (#6304)
Subject: How good is T2?

Is Trimble's T2 unit good enough to serve as a back-up inertial navigation source? There is no realistic way I know of to do VRA in trees. All the VRA programs depend on gps. When asked I reply, not possible, even though it is being attempted. There are more than 600,000 acres of almonds in California's, southern San Joaquin valley, many other tree crops as well. With leaves on the trees, no gps system I am aware of will work. Sticking the antenna on a pole is not possible, many limbs overlap. This also means scouting, yield monitoring, etc with gps will not work. The fix would not have to be close, 25 ft+ error in 1/2 mile would be acceptable for VRA. The gps fix could be regained at each turn. A primary heading may have to be defined to keep in the right row of trees. This has other applications in ag as well. It could keep guidance going when the gps fix is lost due to obstructions. Inertial back-up to gps is not new, there are existing marine, aviation and military applications. Does Trimble have existing software that could be modified to work?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)