AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin rows vs. 20" rows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jff2009
Posted 10/6/2009 13:55 (#873352)
Subject: Twin rows vs. 20" rows

SC
If one had to choose between the two, what would work better in a corn and soybean rotation as far as plant selection, yields, equipment costs and so on? I have been toying with the idea for quite some time now but no one around me has any experience.

I would say that 20" row may take some extra expense at getting going equipment-wise but it would seem like on the corn side, your hybrid selections would open up a little and you wouldn't be stuck with the select few hybrids in the industry that are suited for twins. It seems like it would be a little easier to take your pops higher with a wider variety of hybrids. On the soybean side you might be able to get away with less population and still have all the benefits that 15" rows have. My only concerns there are sprayer tracks. If you couldn't have a way to stay in between the rows, you now have a 40"gap at lower pops. and that would totally suck with corn if you had to go back in.

Whereas with twin rows it is probably a little easier to stay with 30" row equipment other than your planter.

I understand the plant spacing with both set-ups and that you can get more bunched into twin rows but what if you could have that spacing philosophy incorperated into the 20" rows? Anyone have any views on the subject or is there something I am missing that would bring additional gains or loses to the table? Any ideas on how to improve upon either method?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)