AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thanks Gerywolf & all
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 9/12/2009 11:20 (#843948 - in reply to #843847)
Subject: Re: Thanks Gerywolf & all

Aberdeen MS
My ground has OM's that are average around 4.5 to 5.5 (actually I go from a low of about 3.5 to a high of close to 8 in areas), the area we were in yesterday was a bit lower ground where the OM is pushing 6 or maybe better. I have good structure, but I had good moisture at the time of harvest, so I left about a good solid 2-3" depression from the combine tires.

When stripping into wheel tracks left from the combine, in dry conditions with a shank/knife unit, the strip fractures into big chunks which leaves too much air in the strip zone which "may" allow too much settling leaving a depression rather than a mound to over winter.

In a coulter setup, it inhibits the ability to penetrate to the desired depth for for spring planting. Unless one has tons of weight on the bar to push down (3 pt has no down pressure capabilities, only the weight of the implement) it's difficult to penetrate, a knife/shank unit doesn't have that "problem".

Just as with any equipment, picking the conditions to run in is conducive to having a good job or bad job. It's just that too dry "can" be a factor with strip tilling.

Strip tilling is not just swapping out the FC for the strip tiller and going.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)